So yesterday I was lucky enough to be able to go to London as one of my Christmas gifts to watch Les Miserables, and while I was there I decided to go to the Christmas markets that were set up in Leicester Square. I'd seen them being built when I'd travelled down in November for a week, and really wanted to be able to go around them. They were gorgeous, and below are some of my favourite things that I enjoyed about them, and about Christmas markets in general.
1) The atmosphere - I just love the atmosphere around the markets; the shared joy between everyone as we enjoy the festive season. Everyone is smiling, the happiness is almost palpable. The lights are bright, the smells sweet, eyes wide with excitement and wonder. It's amazing.
2) The drinks - Nothing beats a nice spiced cider or hot chocolate with marshmallows!
3) The food - Even better than the drinks are the food! From German sausages and Yorkshire pudding wraps (Manchester Market) to gingerbread goodies and French pancakes, there's something for everyone and it's all delicious.
4) The stalls - I love finding a great hand-crafted gift for a family member, friend or myself and the markets are the perfect place; a showcase of talent!
5) The experience - As a whole there's just something innately Christmassy about going around the markets. Red cheeks, gloved hands clutching a warm drink in one and a gingerbread in the other, features lit by the sparkle of lights and the joy of the season. I can't think of much better as far as festivities in December go.
What are your favourite things about the Christmas markets? As always feel free to leave a comment below or @ me on Twitter!
Thanks for reading!
1 Week To Go!