Saturday, 8 July 2017

Saturday Series: YALC - Fan-Fashion

Any convention goer knows that cosplay and fan-fashion are at the heart of any event. After all, who doesn't love dressing up as their favourite characters?

I won't be in cosplay myself this year, unlike originally planned, for many reasons, but I'd still love this week to show you what I've bought instead, and share some tips about cosplay and etiquette.


I'll be wearing these two shirts from RedBubble on Saturday and Sunday respectively. ThroneOfShadows designed the white tee, inspired by the A Darker Shade of Magic series, which I'll be wearing Saturday when I hopefully meet Victoria Schwab herself for a second time. The black tee meanwhile is designed by FandomizedRose and will be my Sunday shirt. Though it clearly covers every one of my fandoms, in terms of YALC it matches my love for Yuki from Songs About A Girl by author Chris Russell, who I'll hopefully be meeting that day.

As for Friday, inspired by the fact that I'll be watching Les Mis that evening, and now matching that I'll be meeting Melinda Salisbury again who I watched The Phantom of the Opera with in November, this is the shirt I'll be wearing, designed by KsuAnn.


I absolutely love it because it is so me! Don't be at all surprised if I do burst out into show tunes at YALC!

As for cosplay, my top tips are;

1) It's up to you - There are no rules (though the con obviously has safety rules and guidelines re, weapons etc. I'm talking about character-wise here) so you can be whoever, however. Don't let your ability or budget restrict you. There are plenty of great free tutorials out on the internet if help is required.

2) Mind the weather - If you're travelling a distance, just be mindful of the weather, especially if you're wearing heavy fabric or carrying props. Just be mindful.

3) Acessibility - Big cosplays are great. Detailed cosplays with props are great, but these cons can get busy and a lot of the time there are stairs/steps to navigate. LFCC/YALC does have elevators in use, but still just be careful.

4) Baggage - I believe there are cloakrooms (I'm still trying to check) but at the end of the day your items are yours. If you're bringing a lot of books, or want to buy a lot, just be aware of not overloading yourself, especially if you've a long trip home.

5) Have fun! - Whether you decide to cosplay or not, no matter if it's your 1st or 31st, above all else have fun! That's what you're there for!

As for etiquette there was a viral campaign last SDCC I believe, which I'll reiterate here.

Cosplay is not consent.

It doesn't matter who is dressed as what, or how, correct etiquette and manners are key. If you'd like a photo, just ask. Most cosplayers are happy to oblige, but what they don't want is one person ruining the weekend they had planned themselves. Manners do go a long way.


That's it from me today. I hope you found the post useful.

As usual do feel free to leave a comment below or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading.

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


No comments:

Post a Comment