Saturday, 15 July 2017

Saturday Series: YALC - The Art of Scheduling

Today for Saturday Series and my collection of posts about the UK's Young Adult Literature Convention (Just two weeks to go!) I'm going to be talking about The Art of Scheduling. Now this may seem like a little bit of a boring topic, but scheduling is at the heart of any convention. Without schedules, nothing would run, we wouldn't know where to go, and no-one would have a good time. With schedules, I make sure I'm where I need to be, and have the best possible time whilst at this wonderful event. Usually my schedule is little more than circling what on the official YALC schedule I want to do, and creating my packing list accordingly.

This year, as I'm not only going for three days for the first time but also taking part in some of what LFCC has to offer, my schedule and packing list are a lot heavier. I'll be going into packing a lot more next weekend, once the LFCC schedule has been confirmed, but for now let's look into scheduling YALC shall we?


My first thing to do, as I said above, is circle what on the YALC schedule I want to do. Its the best way of seeing where I might have clashes, and how busy a day is going to be. As you might be able to see, I'm planning on doing a lot.


Having decided what was most important for me to attend, I also filled out these awesome day-planners that the lovely CopperBoom folk created. You can find them here at www.TheCopperBoom.com to use yourself. This is more for me to just make sure I complete the most important items on my lists each day, rather than getting bogged down by a heavier schedule.


I'm not planning on going home lightly though. No sir. I'm going to be using my three days wisely, which is why I'm currently creating a full YALC and LFCC schedule for each day I'm there. As the LFCC schedule won't be out until next week, it's not yet finished and subject to change, but for now I thought I'd just show you a few snippets of how I'm organising my days.


Basically I'm using a spreadsheet to organise each day by time and what event I want to attend at that time. This way I can easily see any potential clashes, but can also have a day to day gameplan of where I need to be, so that I don't miss anything if at all possible. It will also allow me to easily see what else I can attend if I find myself with some spare time. Most importantly I can see where any potential clashes can be avoided, by attending a panel or signing on a different day, if applicable.

So as you can see above, I've noted that Holly Bourne is signing Sunday as well as Saturday. This way if I find myself unable to attend Holly's Saturday signing I automatically know there's no need to worry, and can highlight on my Sunday plan that it's more important than originally planned that I see Holly on Sunday instead.


By creating an order list for multiple signings as well, I know exactly what I'm doing even when it's busy. In simple terms, it's basically a way for me to keep all my thoughts organised and avoid any panic attacks. That's the plan anyway. Whether it works, we'll see.

I hope you've enjoyed my little insight into scheduling. As always do feel free to leave a comment below, or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


No comments:

Post a Comment