Monday, 3 July 2017

Cover Spotlight Monday: The Waking Land by Callie Bates

Today for Cover Spotlight Monday I'm featuring one of my favourite Spring releases, and that is The Waking Land by Callie Bates. Released just last Thursday I was lucky enough to receive an ARC from the publisher but will certainly be buying the finished copy as soon as YALC is over (I'm on a book ban until then! *Sad face*); it's just too gorgeous.

Lady Elanna Valtai is fiercely devoted to the King who raised her like a daughter. But when he dies under mysterious circumstances, Elanna is accused of his murder and must flee for her life. 
Returning to the homeland of magical legends she has forsaken, Elanna is forced to reckon with her despised, estranged father, branded a traitor long ago. Feeling a strange, deep connection to the natural world, she also must face the truth about the forces she has always denied or disdained as superstition powers that suddenly stir within her. 
But an all-too-human threat is drawing near, determined to exact vengeance. Now Elanna has no choice but to lead a rebellion against the kingdom to which she once gave her allegiance. Trapped between divided loyalties, she must summon the courage to confront a destiny that could tear her apart.


A part of me is at a loss for words for how beautiful this cover is, but I do just want to point out the three main aspects I adore.

1) Elanna is obviously the character pictured but I love the luminescent orbs that seem to be following her as she flees through the forest, hinting toward her magical disposition.

2) The lush greenery surrounding the edges of the book not only represent Elanna's love of botany or even her connection with nature, I feel it just symbolises the book in its entirety and brings it to life.

3) Lastly I love the vines slowly creeping up the lettering, almost a statement as to nature's power and its slow journey to victory; and therefore perhaps Elanna's victory also.

Overall it is just one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen; I just adore it.

What are your thoughts on the cover for The Waking Land? As always feel free to leave a comment below or @ me on Twitter.

Thanks for reading, and do pop back later in the week for my review of this wonderful tale.

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf



1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all time favourite covers, it's beautiful! I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete