Monday, 10 April 2017

Review: Lois Lane Fallout by Gwenda Bond

I bought this book a while ago, being a huge fan of Lois Lane, but it was only when Curious Fox Books kindly sent me book two - Double Down - to review that I got around to reading it. Wow. Don't I wish I'd read it sooner? The start to a fabulous series that really does Lois justice. I hope you enjoy my review.

Lois Lane is starting a new life in Metropolis. An Army brat, Lois has lived all over—and seen all kinds of things. (Some of them defy explanation, like the near-disaster she witnessed in Kansas in the middle of one night.) But now her family is putting down roots in the big city, and Lois is determined to fit in. Stay quiet. Fly straight. As soon as she steps into her new high school, though, she can see it won’t be that easy. A group known as the Warheads is making life miserable for another girl at school. They’re messing with her mind, somehow, via the high-tech immersive videogame they all play. Not cool. Armed with her wit and her new snazzy job as a reporter, Lois has her sights set on solving this mystery. But sometimes it’s all a bit much. Thank goodness for her maybe-more-than-a friend, a guy she knows only by his screenname, SmallvilleGuy.


The story starts with Lois being forced to attend yet another new school by her father General Lane. We quite quickly see a rebellious streak in Lois that, if you go by portrayals such as in Lois & Clark, we're unused to. For me though I enjoyed her rebellious nature as it brought another side to this already strong character. Lois tames her flame - though only slightly - and turns it to more productive uses however when Perry White visits and states he wants her on his team of reporters.

From there, the story picks up a lot of speed. Lois uncovers a dastardly plot in one of the school's classes and vows to save her new friend from its wicked claws. If she makes the front page at the same time, all the better.

I loved Lois' vivacity and fire, her strength in the face of danger, and her determination to do the right thing. I loved her friends, each one so well crafted to not only compliment the story but to compliment Lois herself. They all punctuated a vibrant world full of capers - and quite possibly aliens - and simply made each and every page.

Bond's writing was flawless, capturing Lois' spirit and yet making her her own. If I didn't love Lois before, I would now. As it is, I love her even more. Fallout is definitely a 5* read I would recommend to anyone who is a fan of Lois, comics, or just a wonderfully strong female MC.

Have you read Fallout? As always do feel free to leave me a comment below or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


No comments:

Post a Comment