Saturday, 29 April 2017

ARC Review: How to Stage a Catastrophe by Rebecca Donnelly

The wonderful team at Curious Fox Books sent me a copy of How to Stage a Catastrophe in exchange for an honest review, and I thank them as I wholly enjoyed it. My review is however not influenced and is my own opinion.





The Juicebox Theater is Sid’s favorite place in the whole world. He can’t let it close. When regular fundraisers don’t work, his entrepreneurial best friend Folly steps in. With help from a couple of other theater kids, they come up with a plan that isn’t exactly extortion but might just be a total catastrophe.








As soon as I heard about this book I knew I needed to read it. As a lover of musical theatre I couldn't wait to read it, so I cracked open the spine not long after it arrived. I certainly wasn't dissapointed.
Sidney is our hero, the director of this play. He's curious and creative, and loves being at The Juicebox Theatre, so it's no wonder that he does his best to save it from closure. He sets up and narrates this wonderful tale but does so in a personal, often hilarious manner that really pulls the reader in. We're rooting for him, wanting him to win, as we follow him through the story.

Folly is Sydney's best friend, and - in play terms - the joker of the tale. A business man of sorts, it's actually his actions that drive a lot of the tale forward, whilst also providing a lot of the tale's humor. He was a wonderful character and probably my favourite simply for his one liners and anecdotes from the mind of his hero Zap Zapper.

May is Sydney's sister and is a sort of antagonistic force driving Sydney and Folly further forward, but in a good way. She has her own storyline which I won't spoil (it's part of the mystery!) but she too was a wonderful character.

The story was hectic and exciting, twists and turns pulling in every which way. A few times I did wonder how the resolution was going to play out and I was pleasantly surprised. It was certainly an enjoyable read that I recommend to anyone who enjoys theatre. 5 stars!

As always feel free to leave me a comment below, or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


No comments:

Post a Comment