Sunday, 19 March 2017

ARC Review: Heartless by Marissa Meyer

I am a huge fan of fairytale retellings and Heartless was no exception. Big thanks to the team at MyKindaBook and MacMillan for the ARC, and I hope you enjoy my review!

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

The story of Heartless follows Cath, daughter of the Marquess of Rock Turtle Cove, who is to marry the King of Hearts. Yet the King is a silly fool in a court that is even worse. Cath has no desire to marry him, and then Jest comes along, and everything changes.

Cath was a fantastic heroine - as Meyer's MC's always have been - but what I loved most was her tenacity and vivaciousness. Her desire to hold on to her dream, despite all the challenges, was a true inspiration anyone could and should learn from. I loved the cheeky and mysterious Jest, whose presence was ever a joy, and whose slow burn romance with Cath was to aspire to. Definitely another addition to the list of book boyfriends.

I especially loved the other characters who populated this world, from Hatter and Haigha to turtle and the lion, who all brought a true life to the world and filled it with so much joy and love. Each one was carefully crafted, that I could see.

I loved the characters that populated this fantastical world, but it was the world itself that consistently held my attention. Elements taken from the original book have been spun and woven into an original masterpiece that harks back to Lewis Carroll's tale but more than holds its own. Mystical, magical, Meyer holds your attention from the very first page and refuses to let go until the last, immersing you in a world you almost feel you belong in, making it all the more difficult to close that back cover. It was truly a joy to experience.

My only very minor disappointment was that I could see the final twist coming, though I'll admit it was still a sort of shock when I finally read it. Overall Heartless was a wonderful, exciting retelling that had me happily turning page after page, laughing and crying with the characters, before finally letting it close with a satisfied sigh. A highly recommended 4* read.

What are your thoughts on Heartless? Is it in your TBR? As always let me know in the comments below or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading.

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


No comments:

Post a Comment