Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Review: Ink by Alice Broadway

I'll be honest that when I received this book in the post I wasn't at all sure what to make of it. I'd heard some information via Twitter, but not so much as to form an opinion. So when I did crack open (Not literally!) the spine I was pleasantly surprised. Big thanks to Scholastic for the review copy!






Every action, every deed, every significant moment is tattooed on your skin for ever. When Leora's father dies, she is determined to see her father remembered forever. She knows he deserves to have all his tattoos removed and made into a Skin Book to stand as a record of his good life. But when she discovers that his ink has been edited and his book is incomplete, she wonders whether she ever knew him at all.







Ink tells the story of a young girl in search for truth. It's this universal concept at the book's heart that makes it so relatable, but it's the characters and world that keep you hooked.

Readers are swept into a dystopian world where tattoos are sacred, the marks on your skin recall the good and the bad, and to be blank is to be an outcast. Broadway paints a detailed, colourful world that quite easily sucks the reader in, and I really loved learning about its history. Short stories from the part are woven into the narrative, giving the world a greater history and depth, and I found them all fascinating.

What Broadway more importantly does however is show a world of black and white, a stark line between who is deemed good or bad, and how it only takes one person to see grey and start a revolution.

Main character Leora was a fabulous heroine who doesn't stop in her search for truth regardless of the challenges she faces. She's highly emotional in some scenes but that only shows the vulnerability of her youth and somewhat sheltered existence, and makes her all the stronger for it. With every turn of the page she was the epitome of true power, and I loved following her journey.

My only disappointment was how abruptly the novel ended and that the conclusion seemed perhaps a little sudden with regards to Leora's character development, but I'm to assume this will be addressed in the sequel, which makes me all the more excited for its eventual release.

Have you read Ink or is it on your TBR? As always do let me know in the comments below or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


1 comment:

  1. I have this on my TBR! Must get to it soon! Thanks so much for linking up to the British Books Challenge x

    ReplyDelete