Tuesday, 28 February 2017

ARC Review: Moondust by Gemma Fowler

If you know me (Or just follow me on Twitter for long enough) you'll know that I absolutely love Sci-fi. Books, TV, movies, I cannot get enough spaceships, aliens or wonderful planets. So when the lovely Jasmine at Chicken House Books offered me an early review copy of this wonderful debut, of course I said yes! I really hope you enjoy my review.




A miracle energy source, Lumite, has been discovered on the moon. The dark days of future Earth - torn apart by war and energy crisis - finally appear to be over. Aggie is the violet-eyed poster girl for the mining company, Lunar Inc, persuaded to campaign for a hopeful new future. But a chance meeting with one of the prisoner-miners, the darkly attractive Danny, changes her mind about everything she knows about her world ..





Moondust is, quite aptly, set on the moon, and it was a wonderfully written setting. Set against the backdrop of a post apocalyptic earth where a newly discovered mineral called Lumite has saved humanity, Fowler paints a beautiful picture of a self sustaining colony on the moon's surface, drawing readers immediately in. It's here that we meet Aggie, our violet eyed heroine.

Though she's tried to hide out on the base as a low level staff member, she's thrust back into the limelight, and in doing so she exposes the truth behind Lumite and the base. She's a strong heroine who - in failing to hide - learns to stand up for what she believes in, regardless of the difficulty and consequences. It's in her investigations that the thriller element of this Sci-fi comes to light, and - while I won't spoil anything - it was one of my favourite parts of the book; almost unusual within the genre in its mystery.

I also loved the secondary characters, especially the sure and swagger of love interest Danny, but my favourite character was in all honesty Celeste, the base's AI. She had character growth in her own right, which was fabulous, but her assuredness and cheer in the face of danger was actually one of the lighter, funnier elements of the story, and I loved her.

Finally I'll mention that the book has a wonderful cliffhanger that has me hoping a sequel will be out sometime soon. It was an absolutely fantastic read and I award it a well deserved 5 stars! Thanks again to Jasmine and Chicken House.

Is Mooniest on your TBR? As always do feel free to leave me a comment below, or @ me on Twitter, and thanks for reading!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf


2 comments:

  1. That cover is beautiful and this sounds really fab! Thanks for linking up to the British Books Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes secondary characters fade into the background, I'm glad that's not the case with Moondust. Celeste sounds great. She reminds me of the AI on the show Dark Matter. Do you watch Dark Matter? I just started it on Netflix a couple weeks ago.

    Lauren @ bookslaying.com

    ReplyDelete