Sunday, 23 October 2016

Ten Favourite Fictional Characters

As much as I love stories, it's always the characters who drive them that interest me the most. So I thought I would make three lists of my ten favourite characters, pairings and friendships. Today I start with my favourite fictional characters and the other two posts will go up Tuesday and Thursday. I do hope you like them.

1) Dr. Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds.

Cute, caring and provably a genius, who couldn't love Spencer? I've been emotionally invested in his character for years and despite the changes the show has gone through, I have and always will stick by him.

2) James 'Jem' Carstairs from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare.

I think one of the main reasons why I love The Infernal Devices series so much is because of Jem's character and his relationships with both Tessa and Will. Despite everything he has and does go through he is always the most selfless, thoughtful character throughout all three books.

3) Nick from House of Windows by Alexia Casale.

Though Nick does differ from Spencer in many ways they are also in some ways the same, and I think that's part of the reason why I love him. Adorable, socially inept and yet caring beyond all measure, Nick was a character I couldn't not love as I was reading the book. Every instance, every emotion, in his journey was so real and deep that his character quite literally sprung up from the pages.

4) Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time.

I think Rumple is both a character I love and also love to hate. Some of his decisions are quite obviously selfish and self-serving and yet he so genuinely believes he's doing the right thing, so many times, for the people he loves, that it's so hard to truly hate him. There have been many instances where his scenes have broken my heart and I truly hope he gets the happy ending he deserves.

5) Prince Merek from The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Merek? I think the main attraction in his character is that no matter how much he loves Twylla, he sticks by her through her decisions. He doesn't treat her as a possession or as any less than the strong independent woman she is. He is caring and thoughtful no matter the situation, a great leader, and it is my dearest wish that he gets his happy ending *Narrows eyes at Melinda*

6) Prince Theron from Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch.

Like Merek I adore Theron for so many reasons. He too is a caring, thoughtful man and a noble royal with good intentions. Though I haven't yet worked up the courage to start Frost Like Night, I really do hope Theron gets his happy ending too.

7) Erik from The Phantom of the Opera.

Anyone for a musical genius and anti-hero? Despite everything that happens in his story, whatever incarnation, and the darkness that resides within his tortured soul, I can't help but love Erik, like so many people I'm sure. I recently watched Love Never Dies and it really has just made me love him even more. I honestly can't wait to see Phantom live for the second time this November!

8) Dr. Carson Beckett from Stargate: Atlantis.

A completely selfless hero, I fell in love with Beckett in the first episode of Atlantis. Adorably cute, a gorgeous Scottish accent to match, and a wonderful friendship with Rodney, he's been a favourite of mine for a long while, and I was lucky enough to meet the actor - Paul McGillion - this past April.

9) Dr. Julian Bashir from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Maybe I have an automatic love for Sci-Fi doctors, I don't know, but Julian is another of my longtime favourite characters. A doctor, a genius (I'm sensing a recurring theme...) and undeniably sweet, I honestly think he had some of the best storylines and episodes in DS9 and I was hooked to every single one.

10) Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo.

I know I'm not alone in professing my love for Kaz. His character is so well built and excecuted that it's hard not to love him despite his flaws. Unique and passionate (behind the chilling facade of course) he's a fabulous character to follow, just as the rest of his crew. I'm eager to finally start Crooked Kingdom sometime soon.

So those are my top ten fictional characters. Do you have any comments or would like to share your favourites? Do let me know in the comments below or on Twitter, and look out for my Ten Favourite Fictional Pairings on Tuesday!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf

1 comment:

  1. I also love to hate Rumple! I'm a huge Once Upon A Time fan :)
    I love The Phantom of the Opera, too, though I'm definitely Team Raoul ;)

    ReplyDelete