Sunday, 2 October 2016

Review: The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury.


Okay, so I know I'm super late in posting this, and I heartily apologise, but I'm here now! Yay!
With thanks to Scholastic, onto The Sleeping Prince!

Ever since her brother Lief disappeared, Errin's life has gone from bad to worse. Not only must she care for her sick mother, she has to scrape together rent money by selling illegal herbal cures. But none of that compares to the threat of the vengeful Sleeping Prince whom the Queen just awoke from his enchanted sleep.

When her village is evacuated as part of the war against the Sleeping Prince, Errin is left desperate and homeless. The only person she can turn to is the mysterious Silas, a young man who buys deadly poisons from Errin, but won't reveal why he needs them. Silas promises to help her, but when he vanishes, Errin must journey across a kingdom on the brink of war to seek another way to save her mother and herself. But what she finds shatters everything she believed about her world, and with the Sleeping Prince drawing nearer, Errin must make a heartbreaking choice that could affect the whole kingdom.
 


Three main points to start;

1: Melinda Salisbury is evil.
2: The Sleeping Prince is amazing.
3: I need The Scarecrow Queen now.

I don't think I need to say much more to be honest - I'd quite happily leave it there - but as this is a review and not simply me fangirling, I will.

The Sleeping Prince is a book that gripped me from the start, and then promptly made me want to throw it against the wall (If you've read it... *Cough* Prologue *Cough*). When this happens, you know you've got a good book in your hands.

The sequel to The Sin Eater's Daughter, we're introduced to a new character, Errin. She's Lief's sister, and a remarkable heroine. Against all odds she - accompanied by her mysterious 'friend' Silas - travels across Tregellan in search of the one person she believes can help find her lost brother. But all is not as it seems. 

Secrets are revealed.

Bonds are tested.

Promises lie in tatters.

Filled with so many twists and turns, this book is an absolute masterpiece. Exciting, fantastical, heartbreaking and harrowing, it is everything that I wanted for the sequel to The Sin Eater's Daughter, and more. Errin was an amazing character to follow. I'll be honest, I was wary at first, wanting more Twylla and desperate to know what happened to her and Merek, but I simply adore Errin and did so within a few pages. She's got more immediate courage and heart than Twylla did; she's already lost everything and refuses to lose anymore. She is the epitome of a strong woman, and I loved every minute of her journey. I was of course still happy to see all our favourite characters from the first book, but I am now quite honestly eager to finish Errin's story too.

Melinda quite firmly remains one of my favourite authors, and I am simply trembling in anticipation for The Scarecrow Queen. March cannot come soon enough.

I think all that's left to say is; Well done, Mel. *Claps* Well done. The Sleeping Prince receives a most deserved five stars.


What are your thoughts on The Sleeping Prince? What do you hope for in The Scarecrow Queen? Do let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter!



No comments:

Post a Comment