Saturday, 6 August 2016

When A Book Stays With You (Long After It's Finished)

Have you ever read that book that you can't stop thinking about? Weeks pass, months even, but it's still stuck in your head? Those feelings are still bubbling just beneath the surface and you wish more than anything that you could go back and read it for the first time again?

Alexia Casale's House of Windows was that for me.

If you've read my review you'll know how much I related to the main character, Nick. His experiences in education were much like mine, and maybe that's part of the reason the story has stuck with me so much.

But it's not the whole reason.

I think the real reason is because it's so true, and I'm not talking about the fact that it lacked dragons and mythical beings (though Gosswin was something...). Though House of Windows is a contemporary tale, what makes it feel so true is Casale's writing. It's so raw and powerful that you can't not feel for Nick's plight. It's impossible not to be drawn into the world of Cambridge that Casale has painted, to feel so utterly drawn into the tale that it's almost like you're living it yourself. From beginning to end it is completely evocative of real life.

That is why House of Windows has stuck with me and, I'm sure, will continue to stick with me for a long time yet. If you haven't read it, I urge you to do so now.

Thanks for reading. Have any stories stuck with you for a long period? Let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter!

Holly @The_Arts_Shelf

No comments:

Post a Comment