Sunday, 21 August 2016

DNF: The Dark Days Club, and my feelings on DNF'ing

Okay so, I know The Dark Days Club was released in January, I know I received an ARC of it, and I know a review should be up by now. Except, I didn't finish it. I couldn't finish it, and I was too scared to say so.

Maybe there's a stigma to not finishing a book, especially one you've requested, I'm not sure, but I definitely felt bad for not finishing a book I requested. I felt so bad I had to keep putting it off, saying 'oh, I might try to carry on next week', until now when I've finally had the guts to say;

It didn't work for me.

I was really intrigued by this book, by both the blurb, the idea, and the fact that I loved the author's previous book, Eon. But the fact is, although these things drew me to requesting the book, these are the same things that would have made me buy it in the bookstore. If I'd have bought it in the bookstore however, and hadn't been able to finish it, I wouldn't have felt bad.

So why do I feel bad about review books?

Because, simply, they're for promotion, and I can't promote a book I didn't finish. But it's a known, obvious fact that we - as one person - cannot like every book we pick up. That's impossible. The fact that I didn't enjoy this book, that the pace annoyed me and I just didn't feel that pull to continue and find out what happened next, doesn't come from it being a review book, and I have to start remembering that.

Whether I will like a review book is speculative, just as with any book. I can't force myself to like it just because I've requested it, just as with any book. Requesting a book and enjoying it are two separate things. I will always hope that I will enjoy a review book, because I requested it because I was looking forward to it, because I wanted to read it, but if I don't then that's simply unfortunate. It's not something I should feel bad about.

So, although I was very excited to read The Dark Days Club in the beginning, I have to say - once and for all - that it wasn't the book for me. I do thank Walker for the beautiful ARC, and maybe I will give it a second chance down the line, but for now I have to say goodbye, and just as with anything in life, I can't feel bad for doing what's right for me.

Another day, another book.

Holly @TheArtsShelf

No comments:

Post a Comment