Monday, 1 August 2016

Blog Tour: Review of Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby.

I received a gorgeous copy of this wonderful book from the lovely Harper360, and have the pleasure of being the first stop on the equally wonderful blog tour! This however in no way affects my opinion or rating.

When Quinn Sullivan meets the recipient of her boyfriend’s donated heart, the two form an unexpected connection.
After Quinn loses her boyfriend, Trent, in an accident their junior year, she reaches out to the recipients of his donated organs in hopes of picking up the pieces of her now-unrecognizable life. She hears back from some of them, but the person who received Trent’s heart has remained silent. The essence of a person, she has always believed, is in the heart. If she finds Trent’s, then maybe she can have peace once and for all. 
Risking everything in order to finally lay her memories to rest, Quinn goes outside the system to track down nineteen-year-old Colton Thomas—a guy whose life has been forever changed by this priceless gift. But what starts as an accidental run-in quickly develops into more, sparking an undeniable attraction. She doesn't want to give in to it—especially since he has no idea how they're connected—but their time together has made Quinn feel alive again. No matter how hard she’s falling for Colton, each beat of his heart reminds her of all she’s lost…and all that remains at stake.



If I was asked to describe this book in three words, it would be this;

Beautiful, elegant, passionate.

Beautiful prose.

Elegantly crafted story.

Passionate characters and even more so the author.

This book was everything I wanted, expected, it to be and more. I readily anticipated a book about love and heartbreak, grief and betrayal, woven in with more secrets than you can count on one hand. What I didn't expect was a book that presented so many poignant points about how fragile - precious - life is but that at the same time so many of us are afraid to live it. A book that not only reminded me what it means to live - to be truly alive - but that made me also realise that no matter the situation or the fear, standing still is never an option. We live to love, and we should love to live.

Thought provoking matter aside though, Things We Know By Heart was also an amazing read. I truly felt for both Quinn and Colton, for both their motivations and their downfalls. They were, are, truly complex characters and they were a joy to read about. Thoughtful, kind hearted Colton - determined to use his second chance for all its worth - was a great 'yin' to broken but passionate Quinn's 'yang'. Their chemistry was simply amazing, and while we didn't get to see much of Quinn's relationship with Trent, it's no wonder why these two fall for each other. There were so many moments where I was truly swooning where I sat. The supporting characters were also wonderful, not just plot devices to push our two main characters forward but truly unique, real people who brought so much more to an already amazing story. It was like watching reality tv in a sense; two 'real' families thrown together by heartbreak and tragedy. Both Quinn and Colton's sisters were especially fabulous.

I really just loved how the author weaved tragedy with light humour, romance with drama. In some scenes one simple flip of the page had the whole scene or story turn on its head, the atmosphere changing like a swiftly moving storm cloud. 

In one simple word, this book was;

Perfect.

In every way.

Things We Know By Heart has not only left me wanting more, but thinking about how I live my life and what I could do better; what I could take more chances on. It's very easily one of my all time favourite contemporaries and perhaps one of my favourite books of 2016. I give it a well deserved 5* and recommend this magical, inspiring, yet heartbreaking read to everyone. It certainly holds some truths we all should know.

Thanks for reading!

Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment