Sunday, 31 July 2016

Spotlight Sunday: Books on Tour - YALC

On Friday I had the chance to attend the UK's only Young Adult Literature Convention (YALC) for the second year running. Though I was only there for just the day, I thought I'd use this Sunday to recap my adventures in books.

Though I only arrived late due to coming from up north and a long train journey, I headed straight to the Books with Bite stand to sign up to their newsletter and get some awesome swag and a tote. I managed to get myself a Crooked Kingdom sampler (Currently reading 6oC), 6oC signed bookplate, and Summoner Books badges. I also got some more fabulous swag from the freebies table, including a Roseblood poster!

I then headed to the Atom stand for a signed copy of On the Other Side for a friend, and then to Waterstones for another copy of The Inquisition (for another friend), plus Half Wild and Unboxed for myself. After that it was time for the signing session for Melinda Salisbury, Taran Matharu and Sally Green.

Heading to Taran's queue first to make sure I got my friend's copy signed, we had a wonderful chat about the Summoner series, and he even remembered me from last year. Very happy start! I chatted to Sally about living around the same area as her and she even mentioned that the train Nathan would have taken to the council would have been the same one I took that morning. Super awesome. Then I joined Melinda's still snaking (Slytherin joke!) queue but it was totally worth it because once again she was so amazingly lovely! She gave me and devilish look when I said Merek needs a happy ending (Sad face) and then hugged me when I gave her a Slytherin pin I'd bought for her. Queen Salisbury of Slytherin!

I pretty much meandered around for the rest of the afternoon, spotting Chelley Toy and Stevie Finegan but being too shy to say anything, and gathering swag and books from all the different and amazing publisher stalls. I even managed to get a proof of Stealing Snow from the wonderful Bloomsbury team!

I also met the lovely Holly Smale again, who also remembered me from last year. We had a lovely chat about Geek Girl, specifically Wilbur and Jasper who I just adore. GG is one of my all time favourite series' so it was wonderful to meet Holly again.

After some more meandering and book buying I noticed a gathering of people around the signing area about 20 minutes or so before Victoria Schwab's signing. Alarm bells ringing I decided it was probably a good idea to join the just formed queue and get ahead of the game so to speak. Victoria was clearly going to be an extremely busy signing, and I'm so glad I did, it was mad!

Meeting Victoria was like a dream come true, and she was super lovely. We talked about her books and I told her how much I love Kell and Rhy. She even showed me some awesome fan art someone gave her and called Kell her baby. She seemed a little bit in awe of how many people were waiting for her and so I even told her I pretty much came because she was there; I'd been unsure beforehand because going for one day is so exhausting. It's certainly a moment I'll not forget!

After Victoria's signing I was done for the day. There were other things I would have liked to stay for but I knew I should look after myself first. That's con rule no1. Despite a slight panic back at Euston (Too many people!) I got the train back home and had experienced such a wonderful day.

I'll definitely be going again next year, and fingers crossed it'll be for the whole 3 days! For anyone who hasn't yet been, I really do urge you to. It's amazing!

Thanks for reading!

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment