Sunday, 24 January 2016

Review: Never Evers by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivision

I was sent a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion or rating in any way. As ever, thank you to Chicken House Books.

In a way this book reminded of The Lizzie Maguire Movie, except in the French alps, and its Gordo who ends up imitating the famous pop star. Queue 'This Is What Dreams Are Made Of' people!
That said, Never Evers is a book that stands on its own two feet (Or is that 250 or so pages?) and is a read that I truly enjoyed.

Kicked out of ballet academy and straight into a school ski trip, Mouse knows certain classmates can't wait to see her fall flat on her face. Meanwhile, Jack looks forward to danger and girls, but hasn't a clue about either. That's until French teen sensation Roland arrives in the resort - who Jack's a dead ringer for. When Roland persuades Jack to be his stand-in for a day, Jack, in disguise, declares his feelings for Mouse. But what happens when he's no longer a pop star - will it be music and magic on the slopes?

Publisher: Chicken House Books

Release Date: 7th January 2016

         Amazon               Book Depository              Goodreads


Never Evers was quite possibly the most adorable and hilarious YA contemporary I have ever read. I adored everything about it really, and a part of me didn't want it to end.

The authors portrayed the characters perfectly, easily pulling me back to my own time at high school. I very quickly identified with Mouse, one of the two main characters. Like Mouse I struggled with the social aspects of school, finding friends I used to be very close to suddenly turning against me for stupid reasons I still don't quite understand. I too struggled with finding myself, who I wanted to be, and how to get there in the presence of difficulties.

I also found myself identifying with Jack and his anxiety issues, again something I suffered from as a teen who loved drama but was afraid to pursue it after having related drama classes to bullying ('Let's get into groups! Find a partner!' = Yay... Sarcasm intended). For me, as much as I loved drama, it was also 50 minutes per week of pure hell.

The fact that remains is that this book is perfect for anyone who has suffered or does suffer from any social anxieties. Although Jack's storyline didn't get as much closure as Mouse's, the books shows the reader that all we can ever do is be ourselves, and that is a message I love to see being reinforced.

The writing was immaculate, where I could really picture the characters, town, and the snow capped mountains. It was an absolute joy to read.

My only issue with Never Evers is that the ending was a little abrupt and - at least to me - some plot points didn't feel resolved. I can't say much more without spoiling everything but it felt a little like a series finale when the show's been cancelled, and they're having to wrap everything up quickly and forget a few things. There were questions I still wanted answers to, and some that felt too easy, and as far as I'm aware the book is a standalone.

That said, I have to give extra points for Mr Jambon, simply because of the translation (Mr Ham) and because... hamsters <3

Overall I give Never Evers a well deserved 4 stars, and I will certainly be seeking out Lobsters in the near future.

-- "Avez vous ma trousse?" --

No comments:

Post a Comment