Tuesday, 5 January 2016

2016 - 60 Books YA Challenge

So I didn't read as many books as I wanted to last year for a good number of reasons. Despite starting my blog and hoping my reading would pick up, last year was simply hectic. From being made redundant and having a good chunk of time dedicated to job searching and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, to taking on different work experience placements, I never seemed to find enough time to read.

This year, I'm making a stand. I will finish at least 60 books this year, if not more! To help me, I've decided to create the 60 Books YA Challenge for 2016; a list of different categories for which I have to read at least one fitting book throughout the year. In the next 362 days I am determined to complete this list, and I'd love it if some of you would join me.



Below you'll find the 60 different categories for which I will post my planned reading in the next day or so. Please do let me know in the comments below, or on Twitter, if you're taking part as I'd love to see what you decide to read.

2016 - 60 Books YA Challenge

1) A 2015 Release I Didn't Read/Finish

2) Any 2016 Release

3-6) 2016 Seasonal Releases (Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn) - Winter is Jan/Feb or Dec.

7-10) Seasonal Reads [Novels based in a specific season] (Winter/Spring/Summer/Autumn)

11-13) Holiday Reads (Easter/Halloween/Christmas, but you can substitute)

14-25) Colourful Reads [Based on the cover design](Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/Purple/Pink/White/Black/Orange/Grey/Gold/Silver)

26) A Book Containing An Animal

27-33) Genre Reads (Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Contemporary/Supernatural/Romance/Dystopian/Graphic Novel)

34) Royal Read [Any book containing a royal family who's crucial to the story, i.e. The Selection]

35) Hot Topic [A book with an important/recent theme, i.e. This Is Where It Ends]

36) Strength In Numbers [A book with a primary cast of characters i.e. The Maze Runner]

37) Series Read

38) Adaptation

39) Indie Novel

40) Word Of Mouth Rec'

41) Book Received For Christmas

42) Book Received For Birthday

43) A Sequel

44) Favourite Author

45) Series I've Yet To Finish

46) 2016 Series Finale

47) Anticipated Release

48) Namesake [A book where the main character, side character or author has your name]

49) Time Travel

50) Regency

51) Classic [Either a 'classic' as in Pride and Prejudice, or a book classed as one that everyone must read, i.e. Harry Potter or The Northern Lights]

52) Beloved Re-Read

53) Borrowed Book

54) ARC

55) Paperback

56) Hardback

57) E-Book

58) Novella Or Novella Compilation

59) Retelling

60) Freebie!

There's technically more than 60 books as a few categories are for series', but there you have it! The 60 Categories for the 2016 - 60 Books YA Challenge! I really hope you like them and decide to take part, but either way thanks very much for reading this post. 

Happy New Year to all, and I hope you get to read every book you want this year.

Holly @TheArtsShelf

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea!
    I personally struggle a lot with reading challenges, and often read more without them, but if you reckon it'll help you read more, go for it.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great challenge! I'm personally not partaking in any specific challenges this year, but I want to try to reach 100 books (including novellas/short stories), catch up on my ARCs, and read books I already own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea to keep you on track for your reading goal! I run a book club where we have lots of challenges like this, and it really seems to keep people on track. At least it kept me on track last year. I really like the Namesake category you have because I always squeal when a character has the same name as me. Good luck, and I hope you achieve your goal!

    ReplyDelete