Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: The Best of 2015

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish, inviting bloggers and readers to list their top ten for a certain category. This is my first time taking part and I'm excited to share with you all my top 10 reads of 2015! They are in no particular order.




1 - Illuminae

I adored Illuminae, having received a proof copy this summer from Rock the Boat. They were new authors for me, but since finishing I have been and picked up These Broken Stars which I'm very excited to read. Illuminae was a mix of many of my favourite sci-fi elements but told in a completely new way. The book itself is a work of art, the story heartbreaking and powerful.

2 - Ice Like Fire

Having read and loved Snow Like Ashes late last year, I was very excited for the sequel. This was another ARC I received and it absolutely broke my heart. I don't think I read anything else for around two weeks afterwards because I was completely in denial. It was that good. SLA has quickly become one of my favourite series' and I urge you to read it if you haven't done so already.

3 - A Darker Shade of Magic

This book simply contained everything I'd been wanting to read over the summer. Kingdoms, brotherhood, magic, pirates and multiple worlds, ADSOM (As it's lovingly referred to) is perfect in every single way, and A Gathering of Shadows is definitely on my 'most anticipated 2016's' list.

4 - Daughter of Smoke and Bone

I was urged to read this by author Helen Maslin (Darkmere) and it blew my mind. I'd heard a lot of things about this series but had been reluctant to start it. Now I only wish I'd read it sooner! I loved everything about it, especially Brimstone and Karou.

5 - Anna and the French Kiss

I read this over the summer and it was the perfect contemporary read for while I was on holiday. Perkins describes Paris with great detail to the point where I felt I was actually there, and I adored Anna and Etienne's story. I just wish I could read it all over again!

6 - House of Windows


HoW was my last read after I bought a copy from Liverpool Waterstones during a signing involving author Alexia Casale. I adored it from page one, as evidenced in my gif filled review (Here if you haven't seen it), and have been recommending it ever since.

7 - The Sin Eater's Daughter

If you've seen my Twitter account (And profile pic) you will know how obsessed I am with this book. Amazing, mind bending and thought provoking in so many ways, I am literally counting down the days until The Sleeping Prince is out. Let's hope February comes sooner rather than later, yeah?

8 - Summoner: The Novice

The Novice is another book that I am completely obsessed with and I have been recommending it to everyone since about June this year. Breathtakingly original and yet like all my favourite fandoms crushed into one, I found it extremely hard to put down.

9 - Queen of the Tearling

Though I mostly read YA, fantasy is my one big exception and I will happily read anything that involves spaceships and magic to regency and alternate universes. Queen of the Tearling was a book I knew nothing about, but which grabbed me one day whilst shopping. When I started reading I was immediately hooked and only put it down when I had to. The shocker ending tore my breath away and left me aching for the sequel, which I'm currently reading. It was simply amazing.

10 - Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda

A fabulous LGBT novel that completely encompasses its phrase 'Why does there have to be a default?' I tore through the pages in about three days and it left me a weeping mess in the corner. Everyone needs to read it, regardless of your orientation. It's a book that has really made me think about how often labels are used and how generic they can sometimes be.

What are your Top Ten Tuesday picks? Join in the fun!

Holly @TheArtsShelf

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read Illuminae yet I was worried about the writing style but I have heard from so many people how amazing it is. Ice Like Fire is sitting on my TBR shelf and I hope to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same with Illuminae but it really is amazing. Ice Like Fire will break your heart, I'm sure, so be prepared :D I hope you love them both!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Ice Like Fire yet, but I really liked Snow Like Ashes! I'm excited to see what happens in the sequel. Illuminae is one of my favorites of the year too. It blew me away! I absolutely loved ADSOM as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you loved Illuminae and ADSOM as well! Ice Like Fire is a heartbreaker. That's all I can say, haha :)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to pick up The Sin Eater's Daughter based on cover alone for ages!!! I'm so glad there is something substantial on the inside as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible! I adore it so so much!

      Delete
  4. Awkward when I've only read one book from your list. But alas, it was one I absolutely adore-- Anna and the French Kiss! I think I've reread that one three times and I just love Stephanie Perkins. I own Illuminae but haven't gotten to it yet :).

    Jess @ Princessica of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Anna so much. I finished it on holiday this summer and it was just perfect! Hope you love Illuminae :D

      Delete