Monday, 30 November 2015

Cover Spotlight: Skin by Ilka Tampke

I will not be the first, nor the last, to say that I adore a beautiful, well-designed cover. Cover Spotlight was created with the sole intention of highlighting and displaying some of the amazing covers the book world has to offer, and this week's pick is the beautiful Skin by Ilka Tampke.

=============================================================================


I was gifted this gorgeous book for halloween by my lovely friend Cazz at LoadedShelves and it really is just beautiful to look at. It's not my usual read (IE, not YA) but I have been eyeing it for months, ever since some of my favourite bloggers received proofs that were just as beautiful. It's a historical fantasy, but - from what I know of it - isn't your usual 'in your face' (Elves, magic, etc) fantasy. It's one of those books where I'm not sure what to gleam from the summary but am excited to dive in nonetheless.

Not only is the design fabulous, really evoking the celtic vibe, but it's also inlaid with gold foil, which is one of my favourite cover techniques. The book itself is almost 'soft' (IDK how to describe it), and it's just all around a well made, gorgeous book. Plus, the end pages!


The end pages mirror the front cover design, but with a red background instead of white. I feel the red invokes kind of a war feeling, which is alluded to in the summary. The summary itself is written on the end pages, laid out like verses of poetry. The whole book is simply beautiful, I could look at it for hours! I applaud whoever designed Skin, because it is possibly one of my favourite covers I've seen.

Do you have a cover you'd like to spotlight? Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter!

Holly @TheArtsShelf

No comments:

Post a Comment