Monday, 14 September 2015

Cover Spotlight: A Darker Shade of Magic - V. E. Schwab.

I will not be the first, nor the last, to say that I adore a beautiful, well-designed cover. Cover Spotlight was created with the sole intention of highlighting and displaying some of the amazing covers the book world has to offer, and this week's pick is one of my personal favourites.

=============================================================================


Image and description from Amazon.co.uk:

Most people only know one London; but what if there were several? Kell is one of the last Travelers magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel Londons. There is Grey London, dirty and crowded and without magic, home to the mad king George III. There is Red London, where life and magic are revered. Then, White London, ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. But once upon a time, there was Black London...

=============================================================================

A Darker Shade of Magic has been one of my favourite books of this year and my review will be up soon, but for now I just want to talk about how amazing the cover is. Minor spoilers ahead!

Obviously the cover features a silhouette of Kell, our amazing main character, but once you've read the book you understand the semblance of all the detail. I love how spotlights of all four London's are featured, but specifically how the map overlaps - relating to the similar yet different geography of the worlds - and how "Black London" contains no detail. I especially love how Kell is positioned in the centre of them with one foot between "White" and "Red", and the other in "Grey", symbolising his ability to move between the worlds. I even think the white background is fantastic, perhaps symbolising Kell's fight against "White London". My favourite part however is the detail on his coat, with the different patterns depicting the many sides of his coat and also the different sides of Kell himself.

I personally think that this is a fantastic cover, with even the lettering sprouting 'veins of magic'. It's very eye catching and immediately informs you of the story's main strands, but - as I've pointed out above - has some subtextual meaning once you've finished it. The story meanwhile is of course superb, and I encourage everyone to go and buy a copy if you haven't already got one.

Have a cover to spotlight? Let me know in the comments below.

Holly @TheArtsShelf

No comments:

Post a Comment